Sometimes I get the lathe bug. I just have to turn something. In this project I started with the staves glue up. I cut six scrap pieces on walnut and maple. They was about 1 1/2″ width and about 20″ long. I cut 30 degree on each edge to form a hexagon stave. Well lets jump into this project here are some pictures showing the glue up.
Cut 30 degree on one edge then
Cut 30 degree on the other edge
Should look like this
Hexagon shaped stave
tape and wire ties works for me
The stave glue up took some time this is why I did it first.
Glue up the flat panel
Looks goo after about 3 passes
Cut a square piece
Cross cut a square piece
Trimmed off the Walnut
Trimmed of the other side of Walnut
Cut another square piece
Then cross cut the stave glue up to square up each end
Now that all the glue ups are done a got the final dimensions. I was left with two square pieces and a stave hexagon. I cut the square pieces into a maximum size circle using the band saw. Now on to the lathe. Started rounding the stave first and I was lucky in to screwed right on the the lathe no adapter needed.
Simple leg design
Part off the waste
True up and flatten out
Recess for the leg
Glue the leg in
Repeat and glue the first piece to the second
Glue the whole thing together
Let the lathe hold the glue up
Remove the wast piece
Drill a 3/4 hole
A simple plug was turned and hammered in
The plug covers the hole
Over all the project turned out great. I’ve said it before and I’ll it again you just can’t beat Walnut and maple combination. The finished was applied. Wiped on butcher block oil and added three rubber feet to the bottom. A fun a easy project for the lathe. If I had a bigger lathe, I would have gone a pinch bigger with this project.