We have had this ugly lamp in the bedroom for years. I don’t even know where it came from. I have always hated it and want to tear it apart someday and build my own. I was telling a good friend of mine that I was thinking of building a lamp and I had this old ugly lamp that I could get the hardware from. I was telling him the idea I had and wasn’t sure if it would work. His reply was classic, “I would rather have an ugly lamp I made vs just an ugly lamp.” I could have put it better. Thank you Matt Stansberry for the wood for the project and the never ending motivation. Can’t wait till your a YouTuber.
This Walnut and Maple segmented lamp infused with white casting resin is one of my new favorite project. I had this idea to add a purple heart to the project. I cut those groves in the glue line and went to prep the purple heart. I planed down the heart to thin and the planer chewed it up. So I tried this casting resin. I’m so glad I did.
Stave glue up’s
Wire tie the staves for a tighter fit
I like this type of wire ties
You can see more details about stave glue up here.
30 Degree slice
Create this slot
Repeat on each glue line
To have a six side stave glue up the blade must be set up at 30 degree’s. The same angle is use to cut a groove at the glue joint. Do this on each glue joint. This will also hide all the imperfection of the glue up. This is also the reason I didn’t use shims to close the gaps of the glue joints during glue up.
When dry it turn white
Mix the casting resin one to one. Poor the resin in the slot, but be sure to do this step fast. You only have about five minute of open time. Also be sure to tape the ends so the resin don’t spill out. I got lucky the stave created a simi-hole that i was able to just screw on the head stock of the lathe.
You will need to have very sharp tools to assure a clean cut through the resin. A quick stop at the grinder can take care of that. You can see more details on this sharpening gig here and at Captain Eddies YouTube channel.
Turn round first
Mark for parting off
Test fit the lamp washer
Walnut Oil finish
Once I get to the lathe, I almost always never know how it’s going to turn out. I just start with rounding the project. Then I hope something comes to me during the process. I know that not the best way to handle it. I try to let the creative process flow. Most of the time it works Okay. I will admit this is not the ideal situation. The lathe is one of the tools i’m able to do that with.
Here is the first look at that creative side. I really like the white resin. I think it breaks up the Walnut and Maple Mix.
More lamp hardware
Lamp hardware came from the ugly lamp I was talking about. I did paint the brass parts black. It looks a lot better. Lets see how this project turned out.
I love this lamp now it is one of my favorite projects to date. I hope you like it and leave me a comment let me know. I really enjoy hearing from you.