Christmas Ornament 2014

Christmas Ornament 2014

IMG_6767     This Challenge was set up by Carl Jacobson at The WoodShop and Alan Stratton at As The Wood Turns, two amazing wood turners and worth going over and checking both of them out. The play list for all the other entry: Christmas Ornament 2014

     Glued three boards together 2 Walnut and 1 Maple between. They where 7″ long and 3/4″ thick 2 1/4″ wide. After the glue up it was a square piece. I mounted it to the lathe between centers and roughed the piece round. I had a design in mind with measurement so I Continue reading “Christmas Ornament 2014”

Turned – Pen/Pencil Jar

Pen/Pencil Jar (Cherry)

Project date: March 2014

IMG_6673     This Cherry Pen/Pencil Jar was one of my very first segmented turning. To accomplish the height needed for the jar, I chose staves cut at 6″ long. Each stave, 6 in total, also cut at 30° on each long side. Once all six parts was cut I then glued them together forming a six sided block of wood. Next I glued a one inch thick bottom to and used that to mount it to the wood lathe. I used the face place to mount the part with on each screws, this would leave me about 1/4″ thick base once everything was turned down.

Once mounted to the lathe, I first started by using a two inch forstner bit to drill out most of the material. Doing this leaves lots of burn marks, but a little work with the scrapper it cleans up nice. After all this was done it left me with a Continue reading “Turned – Pen/Pencil Jar”

Tic-Tac-Toe

Tic-Tac-Toe

I had this idea a few days after I got my lathe. It took about six months to get around to do the project. I wanted a project that would include every power tool I own. Well I didn’t quite get all of them, but i did get most.

IMG_6685

With the board each stick of poplar was 14 inches and I divided them into thirds. I use and half-lap joint to interlock the four sticks together forming the overall board. Primed it gray, then used black latex paint. I applied three coats sanding between the second and third coat with 320g.

The X’s was easier then I was expecting. I set up two scraps one on top of the other in an X pattern. Once I liked the layout I just traced it. Set the Dado blade up and a miter gauge to match the angle and cut it. The Circle’s was done on the lathe and some day I’ll be able to make two identical pieces. This was not that day, all four came out different sizes. I thought it’s a kids toy and they won’t know or care. I pressed on to sanding all the pieces and again primed and painted use the same steps from above.

Check out my YouTube video of this build and stay tuned to more post.