DeWalt Themed Mobility Scooter
While at the woodworking show in Indianapolis. My wife and I seen several mobility scooter at the venue. While holding all the stuff I bought and trying to find somewhere to sit to eat, one of these carts com rolling through with his products and a his food. I thought to myself that would be perfect for a place like this. So the next day, more out of curiosity then anything I looked on Craigslist for a mobility cart. I found a listing for $25.00, after reading the description I came to the conclusion that this cart worked and the owner just didn’t know how to fix the wiring. The owner just wanted to get rid of it. So I went after it. hints to the beginning of the build.
Social Media and other ways to support me:
Main Chnnel, Second Channel, Amazon Affiliate link, Patreon Page, Dollar Shave club Invite, Instagram, Facebook Page, Twitter Page, Instructables
Vote for me on Instructables
I started the video right here. To get you to the point I am now. I go back 2 days. I picked up the scooter for $25. The next day I had broken everything apart and cleaned and painted some of the main parts. That bring us to this point where I’m about ready to start putting things back together. I had to put things back together so I could find out if it all works.
A quick mention about the Head Phones i’m using. IsoTunes, noise Isolating Bluetooth Earbuds, 26 dB Noise Reduction Rating, 4 Hour Battery, Noise Cancelling Mic, OSHA Compliant Earplug Headphones. Not only do they offer me ear protection, they Bluetooth to my phone so my phone stays out of the shop elements. One of my favorite feature on this model is when you take them out they have an magnet of the back of the ear bud. This reduces the chance of loosing them and while hooked together the hang up phone calls or mutes music. How cool is that? Longer battery life is what your looking for, then IsoTunes Pro is what you want.
The front tire fork assembly. After everything got paint it was time to put this back together. The fork goes in first from the bottom. Then a bearing assembly, followed by a grease capped nut and a standard nut. On the inside a wedge shaped piece goes inside the steering neck get bolted on to that. The steering column gets a bolt and nut loosely tighten in order to fold down. One more hex bolt goes tors the front this bolt comes out if you want to fold the handles down.
The motor get mounted to the rear left wheel area. It is held on with 4 nuts, bolts, washers, and lock washer. The two hex screws push against the motor mount to apply tension to the chain. The chain need to be put on before anything else.
After fixing all the wires. I encased them in 1/2″ slit loom. This wire harness goes from the main dash board to the unit computer. You will see this later.
The handles goes on nest they just side into the handle bar. One set screw on each to hold them in place. The wire harness is loosely in place not sure where its going to line up at this point.
The floor board holds the batteries, the computer and the wires all start or end up there at some point. First I need to run the brake cable to the rear wheel. I won’t be able to do this after the components get put in. The cable runs from the left handle bar to the right wheel. It goes in though the front of the floor board pan and out the rear. I use 1/4″ grommets to protect the cable something the manufacture didn’t do. Grommets are good to have around the shop they come in handy. Next, I placed the board into the floor board the mount the computer. This board is held in with hot glue. The front two compartments is where the batteries go. I place two strips of weather tape to help with vibrations. Not completely necessary being AGM batteries it don’t matter to much.
I loosely have the parts in place to test the cart. After a good test run on this cold day. Top speed is about 5 mph this video is sped up. Let get the cart looking good.
The metal frame covered by wood. This made it easier to attach the floor board and other items. Strips of wood got cut to fit in there place. after fitting each piece I drilled a hole with an 1/8″ bit. The bit went through the wood and the frame to later be attached with a sheet metal screw. Counter sank the sheet metal screws head.
These two plates was added so I don’t accidentally screw into the wires. Under these plates are live, hot wires that supply power to everything. IE: 24 Vdc
The same treatment as before to these to wire runs. Then I put together the main dashboard and headlight assembly.
This assembly goes under the seat. It provides a motor cover, a wire housing and over looks. I designed this part to emulate the looks of a DeWalt 20 volt battery.
At this point I noticed I have been using a lot of the same tools metric allen wrenches, metric wrenches and slotted and phillip screwdrivers. I had this one compartment left over and decide to make a trunk,if you will, full of those tool. Kaizen foam by FastCap is a great thing to have is you shop you just never know when or how you’ll use it.
The floor board is made one piece at a time. I was formed with two sides then a part in the middle. Then a few pieces around the middle to foam the secondary dash board. This holds the dual USB ports and battery indicator. This very useful two in one unit saved time and headaches.
The floor board lifts up and off to gain access to the components. It has a channel to hide the wires. It also hold the secondary dashboard with a quick disconnect. On the third picture you can see the little hole to maneuver the wires through.